HOOOOOOOOLD YER HORSES. WAIT JUST A MINUTE THERE...
So, you have a manuscript and you want to submit it to Crooked Cat for consideration. There are a few things you’ll need to know, first.
- We’re an International ePublisher – we push our publications to Kindle, in the first instance, and it goes everywhere where Kindle is done. There are options to push it to other online places, but we find Kindle is nice and friendly. We also push to print-on-demand through Createspace. Paperback is all well and good, but you might not see our books on the High Street – they are mainly distributed to Amazon and Barnes & Noble.
- You’re a Jack-Of-All-Trades. In order to succeed as a published author, you’ll need to be at the centre of the process. We’ll assign you a professional editor, we’ll come up with gorgeous artwork, and we’ll connect you with the best writers and readers. But you’ll be in the front row after release with promotion and marketing. We’ll help – we’ll offer advice – but being published means you’ll need to have a good dose of gumption as well as a thick skin.
- You’ll need to know about us. It’s only respectful, if you’re asking us to get to know you through your writing, for you to get to know us through ours. So, if you’ve not read a Crooked Cat book, try one out before you submit. It’ll be an advantage if you know what our books are about, their style, how you’d fit in, and all that jazz.
So, you still want to give this submission malarky a go? Have you got gumption? Okay. We’re going to ask you to email us with a few bits and pieces. Once you’ve submitted your manuscript, give us about ten weeks to come back to you. We’ll either say ‘yes please, we’d love too see more’, or ‘thank you, it isn’t for us’. Don’t take it personally, please. Remember the thick-skin thing, above?
Don’t want to submit after all? That’s all right. We have lots of books for you to read. Have a gander…
Send us ALL the following (with regret, we can’t consider submissions without these):
- A photo of yourself – we don’t care if you look like Prince Charming, and it doesn’t have to look jazzy-fandabizoie professional. But we love to know who we’re reading about.
- A covering email – nothing too long, but it’s always nice to know about more about people and their inspirations, achievements, shoe-size, isn’t it? You don’t need to tell us your shoe-size, by the way. We don’t sell shoes.
- The first three chapters, or first 10,000 words of your story – because it’s going to be mighty tricky to see what we think of your story without it.
- Your synopsis – everything in a nutshell, the whole caboodle, the lot, condensed into a one-pager.
It’ll be everything in an email that we’ll need, if you please. And that email in question is firstname.lastname@example.org